Tuesday, June 3, 2008

Here's one from earlier this year:

She Talks to Hummingbirds

My heart led me to Guatemala
to find you, mi amor, a missing piece of myself
like all daughters.
My new baby
everywhere we go
hummingbirds check in on you, whirring inquisitively
sent from the homeland like you
to this cold and dreary gray climate
wondering if I raised you right.
When you are inside,
they hover at the windows
until they find you and can make their report.
I always wave and hold you up
so you can see each other.
My hummingbird, you dance and chatter
your way through a meal -
you, who are quick to see the insult, take offense,
intercept it midflight
and bravely belligerently
stand between accuser and accused.
My tiny lawyer-hero
ready to right injustices everywhere.
Please do not sip
from the feeder of self-sacrifice,
I know you are tougher than any jaguar
you don't have to go nose-to-nose with them all.
I wish for you: a life of honeysuckle, bee balm,
and all the passion flowers you pursue.

No comments: