Tuesday, May 19, 2009

A Few Words to the Magician:

A Few Words To The Magician:

Small dog with a huge heart,
you remind me of my grandmother:
once a small woman with a huge heart.
Now, same spirit, different form;
different plane entirely.
I do not confuse the two of you.
Some of us are so compact
it's hard to imagine the magician
who packed your bag of tricks.
The courage of a thousand men?
Let's give that to the hummingbird.
You see? For some, it's all stunning surprises.

I am not like my husband's Blackberry,
a wondrous instrument
filled with surprises.
I am a typewriter:
you press the key,
you get what you see.
And sometimes
I get stuck.

Small dog, how do you fit "faithful", "loyal",
"courageous", "adventurous", and "comedian"
all in that same frame:
lithe muscles and toothy grin?
Grandma, how was there room for cancer
in the limitless love of learning,
the curiosity and gratitude?
Who invents a toy that is also a computer and a phone,
(and don't forget a camera!)?

Next time I'm going to stand in the long line
filled with spirits who request a compact
instead of an Oldsmobile just because it's available.
Next time I want people to ooooh and aaaah
over all my quiet fireworks, the limitless scarves,
the doves that fly out
whenever I lift my hat.

No comments: